North African Turkey Kabab Kofta
- 30 lbs. lean Norbest Ground Turkey
- 7 lbs. onion, minced
- 1 lb. garlic. minced
- 1 ½ quarts fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 ¼ cups bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. allspice
- 2 tbsp. ground coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- Salt and fresh pepper (to taste)
- 5 quarts Greek whole milk yogurt
- 25 English cucumbers, seeded, finely grated and drained
- 1 cup garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup lemon zest
- 1 ½ cups fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups chopped fresh dill
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- In a large bowl mix the ground turkey, onion, garlic, parsley, breadcrumbs, spices, salt, and pepper until evenly blended. Divide into 300 heaping 1/4 cup portions. Roll into log shaped ovals and place on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- When ready to cook, preheat grill to high heat. Carefully insert the skewer through the formed meat. Grill for 10 to 15 minutes on indirect heat, turning occasionally, until meat is no longer pink and registers 165° on a meat thermometer.
- Serve with cucumber yogurt (Tzatziki) dipping sauce. Recipe follows.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and dill. Season with salt and pepper. Chill.
- For extra flavor, add olive oil and coarsely chopped fresh mint to taste.